Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ipoh Food

Food is really a matter or prespective..as the saying goes.. ‘One man’s meat is another mans poison’

I chance upon a trip up north and passing by the Perak state, I stopped by Ipoh… normally I will have my traditional dim sum at Foh San, then curry noodles at Restaurant Yee Fatt, & if there is still space… then .. Ipoh White coffee at Restaurant Sun Yin Loong..

However, this time round I decided to break tradition & try some new food haunts.. recomended by a local..

Restaurant Sun Seng Fatt.. Open since 1980 located Jln Market, famous for the Curry Mee. Ordered 1 dry & 1 soup, to my taste it’s mediocre. No apparent difference between the soup & dry, except the dry has less of the gravy, which has the exact same viscosity in curry.

However it is still better than the curry mee which we get in Kuala Lumpur. Guess in my mind, when ever I am eating Ipoh Curry Mee, the restaurant Yee Fatt is the bench mark. However.. Curry mee like bah kut teh.. Is a very personal & subjective to individual preferences...















Dry Curry Mee(Bottom) Vs. Soup Curry Mee (Top)
Next stop… Kong Heng coffee shop, walking distance from the Curry Mee, located at Lorong Panglima & Jalan Market,

Going into this shop, it’s like stepping back in time. The décor, interior & vendors.. reminds me of the colonial shops, with the 4’by4’ ceiling boards, different colored beading.. 3 bladed fans with round bowl axis, its like zap… going back to my grandfathers coffee shop in Malacca..

Anyway enough nostalgia, recommendations given pork satay & dry chicken hor fun;

Pork skewered & then cooked over an open charcoal grill is always a welcome… the way in which they serve the satay its like the Kajang in the old days… where they cook up a big plate of satay … then you eat whatever you can. Return what you cannot finish, then they bill you , on the number of sticks consumed. Unhygienic? Hey you can always eat else where … but seriously… all the good food is always located next to a big drain, under a big tree, above a big drain or most definitely somewhere dirty & with lots of Remy’s from ratatouille around.

Satay gravy is thick, tasty & good. Pork is lean, a little tough but seasoned in tumeric.. very nice.. I do not take spare parts… but each skewer of spare part satay comes with a magical crystal piece of lard in the center… gotta be heaven for some

Dry chicken floss hor fun.. maybe I am too full, but the noodle is nice in a weird way… the flavoring, is weird for my taste bud… there is loads of sesame oil, & some chili oil ? a little foreign to my taste buds… but nice for a different taste ..


Don’t even want to think how many kilometers I got to run to burn off all the food I ate..

No comments: