Sunday, August 10, 2008

King Of the Road 10th August 2008

Where do i start... could not sleep last night... went to bed at 10:15 pm... tossed & turned till about 12:15 before i slept... was feeling restless, hot & my ankle uncomfortable

5:25 am ... 1st alarm went off woke up straight away... washed up ... took 2 table spoons of L Carnatine.. changed .. 2nd & 3rd alarm went off 5:30 am, handphone, then radio clock..

applied the phiten relax gel... to all my injury prone areas ( fat people got more procedures).. put on my 2nd skins socks, Kayano & im out the door.. ate half an energy bar whilst driving..

6:20 am arrived at dataran shah alam... Adidas did a very poor job organising the run... no indication for reporting station... worse still no toilet...

6:45... the 22.7 km guys flagged off.. by Mb Selangor

7:00 start of run ... quite a big crowd... everyone funnelling into the first left turn ... i was in the middle of the crowd, thus i only started my watch when we passed the starting gentry...

worried about all my injuries... so started off really really slow... reaching the first turn off.. parallel the federal highway... 0.6 Km mark... my right calf started to tighten... so i ran slower.. & lighter... controlling the impact, as feather weight as possible

continued on and told myself, that when in training i could run at least 25 mins without stopping... thats 3 km ...

then my right shin starts to poke... at the start of uphill... just past the posf office... around 2 km mark... slowed down and brisk walked to the top of the slope...

from the top of the slope... i ran all the way down to the kayangan roundbaout... and continued on till i reached the drinking station... took 2 cups of 100+... argh really terrible... when you are thisty & your mouth parched, drinking warm carbonated isotonic water burns your mouth & the salt makes you thirstier...

from Concorde hotel the 4.3Km mark to the Persiaran Dato Menteri 6.5Km mark was a blurr to me ... i kept pushing myself on & on... chosing lamp posts, traffic lights & weird looking trees as rest markers, (ill walk till there then run) or stop markers(ill run till there then walk)…pushing on & on.. walking most slopes then running on the downside..:)

A relief for me was the traffic light at the police station... 5.1Km marker... time was 33:50 mins... which in my mind meant i will definately beat my 75 minutes trial run goal...
after the 6.5km mark i knew there is 3 more round abouts.. i did not look at the time... i just pushed & pushed myself... ignoring the pain in the ankle... stopping only when i was out of breath... when i stopped... only allowed myself maximum 1 minute of walking then ran again...

when i reached the 2nd last round about... Permai round about, (the 1 with Mcdonalds) i knew its the final stretch.. here i start to open my strides.. taking in the 2 inhales 1 exhales and telling myself 1 last stretch left...

Past the last traffic light i was out of breath... so i walked, telling myself i gotta run at the start of the last round about... however half way round the roundabout( seemed like the worlds biggest to me) i was out of breath… but alas… knowing I have another 500 meter & have to negotiate a small slope… I swing my arms harder to gain the momentum & pushed myself to the finish…

Cheers & jubilation +it was such a sense of relief… I felt lifted… finishing my very first 10K run.. Time 67:25.. I surpassed my own expectations & my trial time by about 6 minutes… Gotta plan for my next run…

After all the sweat, toil & pulling through all the injuries… this fat guy can run …




Next run... Mizuno 10 Km.... for now gotta go get some nasi lemak .....:P

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm very proud of you my friend! I salute you for sticking to your word that you will change your lifestyle once you touch the big 3-0! *Cheers*